PPP to CE machines

Anyone had any luck running PPP to a Windows CE machine?
I set up mgetty and ppp on my desktop machine, and set up a dial-up
connection on my HPC (because a direct serial connect is
assumed to be to the H/PC explorer, argh),
but I get LCP timeouts. Once I got as far as PAP authentication
but it failed.

Hamish