Re: Printing problem solved

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 21:59:23 EST, wrote:
> I can print now.

Congratulations. :-)

> I am not completely sure what I did to fix the problem -- I reran
> magicfilterconfig, I reinstalled gs, and I changed the printer defined
> by magicfilter from DeskJet 500C to plain DeskJet 500.

Even though it takes longer, I've gotten to the point where I want to
isolate individual issues whenever possible.  This aids me in learning,
maintaining and troubleshooting.  Of course, when things are fubar,
that's another story.

> I still maintain that the docs for *nix printing are among the worst
> I've ever seen . . . and I have learned IBM's JCL from the original
> IBM manuals.

So what's your point? :-)  You're not the first person to find that
help with Linux is often haphazard (although personally I thought
magicfilter was fairly well documented, and the print related HOWTO's
were quite helpful).  Future and soon to arrive versions of Linux will
likely expedite and simplify configuring such things as printers,
dialup networking, et.al.

> (I saw no replies, did my original request for help make it to the
> list?)

Oh, it probably did. My experience with Linux has been that there's a
higher threshhold required by the end-user than some operating systems
to find and use all the resources which are well distributed. This is
uncomfortable and time-consuming at first, but it gets better and if
you want to get anything done, it behooves you to familiarize yourself
with your resources.  DejaNews (http://www.dejanews.com) searches the
Debian List, so if you have a question which you think is likely to be
common (I'd imagine configuring a deskjet is somewhat common), you
might try searching the list archives there--Debian doesn't have their
own search engine.  I've found the docs in /usr/doc/* to be real
helpful.  I often use Filerunner (fr) to seamlessly view zipped
documents and HOWTO's in X-windows, and I have a script from the
Tips-HOWTO to view them in console.

--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu