Re: Oh yeah!

On Sat, Dec 27, 1997 at 02:01:09AM -0800, George Bonser wrote:
> I suppose that all depends.  There are some cards that the kernel drivers do
> not support that the commercial version does and it really boils down to how
> much you value your time.  If the OSS drivers save you an hour or two, it is
> probably money well spent. For the $20 you get upgrades as future versions are
> become available and if you need to change sound cards, rerunning the OSS
> setup makes the switch a snap.
>
> I for one am happy to support the vendor of a quality Linux product. If the
> driver was junk, I would say so. Fact is, it is pretty good.

I agree, it is a good product. However I tend to change kernels
quite often (following the development kernels), and that means
downloading new binary modules each time, assuming they're available yet.

I've always been a bit mystified as to why the same author (Hannu)
maintains both the free and commercial sound drivers. And when people
started asking for it to be split into different modules for each
chip type, which the commercial version already had, then somebody
else contributed the patches to OSS/Free to do this. Bizarre.

The free software bigot in me doesn't let me appreciate OSS/Linux
as much as I might.

Hamish