Adaptec 2842

I am trying to install the latest stable version of Debian on
a machine with an Adaptec AHA-2842VL SCSI adapter.  The system
has a SCSI hard disk, CD-ROM and Exabyte tape drive.  I have
tried the rescue disks with the 2.0.29 and 2.0.30 versions of the
kernel.  The machine hangs while booting from the resue disk.

At the boot prompt I enter "linux aic7xxx=no_reset".

The error messages follow:

scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun0
   Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
aic7xxx: (abort) Aborting scb 0, TCL 0/0/0

(many lines deleted)

aic7xxx: (done_aborted_scbs) Aborting scb 0, TCL=0/0/0
scsi0: BRKADRINT error (0x1): Illegal Host Access
Kernel panic: scsi0: BRKADRINT, error 0x1, seqaddr 0x0
In swapper task - not syncing

Does anyone have any ideas for installing Debian on this machine?

John Kuhn
johnk@penguin.grdl.noaa.gov