A question regarding hardware

Greetings.

I've wanted to install some version of *nix for quite some time now,
and I recently acquired enough hard disk space to do so.  However,
when attempting to install both FreeBSD 2.2.5 and Slackware Linux
3.4, I discovered that neither OS was able to detect my controller
card.  The card is a Promise Technologies Ultra33 ultra ide pci card.
 I'd like to give Debian a try, but don't want to download it unless
I know for certain that it's going to work with the card.  With this,
I have two questions:

(A) Will the current release of Debian, by default, detect the card?
(B) If not, is there anything that can be done to get it to detect?

Any options on this would be greatly appreciatedly, as right now I've
only been able to get the card to work under Win95 and WinNT (evil!
evil! evil!).

Note: most OSs are able to detect the old, slow drive interfaces on
the motherboard, but not this card.

Lightning