Re: clueless people on debian-user

In article <[🔎] Pine.OSF.3.95.971212144040.8515B-100000@newton.physics.arizona.edu>,
	lapeyre@newton.physics.arizona.edu (G John Lapeyre) writes:
> 	I don't see why people let a little spam get to them.  Its bad,
> but its life.  About one out of 50 or 100 messages on debian-user is like
It's not that difficult to set up procmail to catch most of the spam.
And we do have spamdb in hamm.

> 	Question is how many debain users prefer to access the list via
> usenet ?
I prefer to receive the lists by mail.

<off-topic>

I've recently started piping my incoming debian-user & debian-devel
messages through a non.mime sed filter before piping them to mail2news.
Based on the tests I've run on messages in my /var/spool/news/debian/*
directories this filter deletes all of the MIME cruft and appears to
leave the clear text intact.

You'll also note the I'm striping any existing Distribution: header.
I mark all incoming messages Distribution: local when they are gatewayed
to news.  This is so that they won't get reposted to the group.
Recently I found that some mailing list messages arrive with an
existing Distribution: header. Mail2news won't overwrite an existing
header.  Maybe I ought to report this as a bug...

Here's the filter
:
/^Distribution:/d
/=_NextPart_/,/=_NextPart_/d
/^Content-Type:.*$/d
/^Content-Transfer.*$/d
/charset="iso\-8859\-1/d
s/=$//
s/=20$//

</off-topic>
--
                                       _ _
Steve Kostecke                        | (_)_ __  _   ___  __