Re: clueless people on debian-user

On 12 Dec 1997 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> > My students were messing around with my classroom computer, and now I
> > have stuff all over the place.  I can't get everything back in proper
> > order.  What do I do?
>
> This is obviously a windows user. Because of postings like this,

	See my reply to the post as well !

> and because of all the spam we are getting and all of the clueless
> people who mail to our personal mailboxes, there has been a clamor
> to shut down the news gateway and go to mailing-list-only distribution
> of the Debian lists. To compound the problem the news gateway has
> been stripping out the X-No-Archive header, and the operator is too busy
> to fix it for now. Also, some web archives do not honor that header at all.
>
> I think having our lists on news benefits us, and we can tolerate the spam
> and the mis-directed mail. What do you think?

	I don't see why people let a little spam get to them.  Its bad,
but its life.  About one out of 50 or 100 messages on debian-user is like
this.  Thats not much, and Im pretty fast with the 'D' key.  I think that
the benefits outweigh the costs.  I tend not to have an emotional reaction
to spam in my inbox, but again , for me its 50 to 1 or more legitimate
mail.
	Question is how many debain users prefer to access the list via
usenet ?

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>