Re: newbie questions...Help!

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Rick wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just installed Debian on a partition of my HD (and a swap partition)
> everything seems to be going well, i log on and get a $, what next?
>
> I have a Mistsumi CD rom drive, but cannot get the drivers select page to
> recognise it, how do i find the interupts, irq thingys out?
>
> what packages should i get to start me off, how (after downloading them
> with win95) do i get the files on a debian readable floppy, and after that
> how do i install, use them?

	I  don't understand, if you installed already , didn't you select
a bunch of packges ?

> whats this x windows thing, and how do i get, install, use it?

	Via dselect.  It can sometimes be problematic , sometimes smooth.

	see many docs at  www.debian.org . Be patient looking.

	Also do

	cd /usr/doc

	Then pick a directory (HOWTO is a good one) cd to it and use

	less filename

	to read a file.

	See the linux documentation project on the debian web page.  I
think the users guide starts with 'ls' , etc.

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>