Re: newbie questions...Help!

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Rick wrote:

> I have a Mistsumi CD rom drive, but cannot get the drivers select page to
> recognise it, how do i find the interupts, irq thingys out?
Take a look at the settings for the drive under Win95.

> what packages should i get to start me off, how (after downloading them
> with win95) do i get the files on a debian readable floppy, and after that
> how do i install, use them?

> how can i look at the contents of my hd? something like dir in dos would be
> nice?
try "ls" -- roughly the equivalent of "dir" in dos.

> whats this x windows thing, and how do i get, install, use it?
Nifty stuff.  You get it from wherever you get debian -- it comes
prepackaged.  Just select the right package based on your video card.

> how do i change my username and password?
"adduser" and "passwd"

> how do i log on as super-user?
"su"

I'd recommend you hit http://www.linux.org and take a look at the howto's
and beginner's guides there.  Specifically check out
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/DOS-to-Linux-HOWTO.html
for information on making the migration from dos to linux.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|The problem with computers:                                             |
|                      rivendell[501] [~]> love me                       |
|                      bash: love: command not found                     |
|                      rivendell[502] [~]> hug me                        |
|                      bash: hug: command not found                      |