Re: newbie questions...Help!

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Rick wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just installed Debian on a partition of my HD (and a swap partition)
> everything seems to be going well, i log on and get a $, what next?
>
> I have a Mistsumi CD rom drive, but cannot get the drivers select page to
> recognise it, how do i find the interupts, irq thingys out?
>
> what packages should i get to start me off, how (after downloading them
> with win95) do i get the files on a debian readable floppy, and after that
> how do i install, use them?
>
> how can i look at the contents of my hd? something like dir in dos would be
> nice?
>
> whats this x windows thing, and how do i get, install, use it?
>
> how do i change my username and password?
>
> how do i log on as super-user?
>
> and more and more and more....
>
> sorry about the newbie'ness of these questions but i have no idea what i am
> doing...
> Thanks
> Rick

Most of your questions are not Debian specific (straight *nix stuff). I
recommend that you get a book on general Unix systems (something like
"Unix for Dummies", which is actually well written dispite the derogatory
title). You would also benefit from reading Matt Welsh's book "Running
Linux". For the Debian installation questions I can recommend my own book
"The Debian User's Guide" which is available in html from
http://www.linuxpress.com

For instance, getting your CD-ROM mounted will depend more on the
controler than the drive. (although the Mitsumi drive typically uses a
proprietary controler, I believe that the drivers disk includes it)

Hope this helps.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-