Re: kernel sound defaults wrong?

On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 12:25:56PM -0600, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> Rick Hawkins wrote:
> > After playing for an extended period with the default settings, I finally
> > figured out why my sound card wouldn't work:  the defaults in the kernel
> > package use Irq 7 rather than 5.  Isn't 5 the standard on this?
>
> "standard"? Surely you jest. Yeah, it's also the "standard" for a lot
> of other ISA cards whose manufacturer decided that 5 should be the
> "standard" IRQ for their board. I believe this myth has originated
> because the Creative Labs Soundblaster board factory-defaults to an

Why shouldn't our kernel factory-default to 5 too?

Also I heard that Redhat have a nice sound configuration utility using
the nice new modularized sound driver. Still I haven't worked out
how to modularize my sound driver in 2.1.65. Something like this would
be nice. Perhaps I'll look into it.

Hamish