Re: kernel sound defaults wrong?

jen jorgensen wrote,

> "standard"? Surely you jest. Yeah, it's also the "standard" for a lot
> of other ISA cards whose manufacturer decided that 5 should be the
> "standard" IRQ for their board. I believe this myth has originated
> because the Creative Labs Soundblaster board factory-defaults to an
> IRQ of 5. This by no means makes it a standard. Since there are only
> 15 IRQs on the Intel (AT) platform and closer to half of them are
> actually usable by add-on boards, there can't ever be a standard on
> a given board (or board-type, eg. "sound card") using a certain IRQ.
> Granted there are "tendencies" one sees among manufacturers.

OK, "standard" is way to strong :)  But isn't 5 a strong tendency?

my $10 board doesn't even *have* a setting to change irq's . . . and it
doesn't tell me what or where they are, either.  [i don't really need sound,
but for $10 for speakers and $10 for the board, why not?  and now exmh beeps
me for new mail :) ]