Re: Problem solved:StarOffice,printing and dj, again!

> Date:          Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:58:41 -0800
> From:          tony mollica <tmollica@sb.net>
> To:            jjorgens@bdsinc.com, debian_user_list <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject:   Re: Problem solved:StarOffice,printing and dj, again!

Tony,
    Is this the direction email is going (html email)? If so I guess I had
better gear up for it. As it is, it is a little aggravating having my reader
hick up when this format is encountered. What mail reader is comfortable with
html?

Steve

> --------------9A1FFAB9AA7F5775C9C4537E
>
> Good news.  The problem is solved.  First, what I needed to do was enter
> a PRINTER=hp870rm and associated export statement to make this the
> default printer.  hp870rm is the name of the device actually connected
> remotely via the rm and rp entries in printcap.  This allowed the proper
> connection to the nt4.0 lpd service by way of hp870rm and 'lpq
> -Php870rm' responds normally.  Any printing is still sent to lp, the
> printer with the filter attached in printcap, then gets routed through
> the remote printer.  Lastly, using your short script, and checking the
> man page for lpr, I added a '-l' to get
>
> '/usr/sbin/dj550c-filter $* | lpr -l -Php870rm -U$5'.
>
> Without the -l, an unusual character set gets printed but  with the -l
> the control codes are evidently passed to the printer to do what they're
> supposed to do.  Star Writer 3 now prints very well.
>

> I appreciate the help.
> thanks
>
> tony mollica
> tmollica@sb.net
>
> --------------9A1FFAB9AA7F5775C9C4537E
>
> <HTML>
> <FONT SIZE=+1>Good news.&nbsp; The problem is solved.&nbsp; First, what
> I needed to do was enter a PRINTER=hp870rm and associated export statement
> to make this the default printer.&nbsp; hp870rm is the name of the device
> actually connected remotely via the rm and rp entries in printcap.&nbsp;
> This allowed the proper connection to the nt4.0 lpd service by way of hp870rm
> and 'lpq -Php870rm' responds normally.&nbsp; Any printing is still sent
> to lp, the printer with the filter attached in printcap, then gets routed
> through the remote printer.&nbsp; Lastly, using your short script, and
> checking the man page for lpr, I added a '-l' to get</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=+1>'/usr/sbin/dj550c-filter $* | lpr -l -Php870rm -U$5'.</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=+1>Without the -l, an unusual character set gets printed
> but&nbsp; with the -l the control codes are evidently passed to the printer
> to do what they're supposed to do.&nbsp; Star Writer 3 now prints very
> well.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=+1>I appreciate the help.</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=+1>thanks</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=+1>tony mollica</FONT>
> <BR><FONT SIZE=+1>tmollica@sb.net</FONT></HTML>

                                     Stephen Millard
                                Websmith Enterprises Inc.