Re: Need help in X Windows installation

Sten Anderson wrote (10 Dec 1997 16:32:12 +0100 ):
|>"Jens B. Jorgensen" <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> writes:
|>
|>> These messages do not indicate a fatal error, only that you haven't
|>> installed these X extensions. If you're using your own .xinitrc,
|>> are you sure that the last command uses 'exec' rather than just
|>> running a program? This would cause the X server to immediately exit.
|>
|>It is NOT necessary for the last command to be started with exec. In
|>fact, exec should only be used on the window manager, and only if that
|>is the last command in .xinitrc. The problem is more likely the use of
|>&'s. Every program started in .xinitrc should have & appended EXCEPT
|>the window manager.

Is there something wrong with using exec on an xterm, rather than a
window manager?  I'm currently doing that which makes the duration of
an x session depend on the xterm rather than the window manager (which
is what I prefer), and I haven't run into any problems.  Am I doing
something inherently bad?

-alan