Debian needs guinea pigs

Do you have a little spare time?
Do you have some extra hard drive space?
Do you enjoy being the first to try something new?
Do you want to be on a low volume mailing list (compared to debian-user)?
Do you want to help debian become the most popular linux distribution?
Do you want women to adore you? (ok, maybe we can't do this)

If you answered yes to zero or more of the above, you're a perfect
candidate to join the Debian Testing Group!  We're looking for a few good
guinea pigs in preparation of the Debian 2.0 release.  Basically, we
install as many times as possible (although one is more than enough),
making sure all the programs work.  If you are interested in joining, send
me a short message detailing what you can do, and in a few days, you'll be
added to our mailing list.  New users are welcome!

I've included a more detailed description of our testing process below to
give you an idea of how this works.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds

DEBIAN TESTING GROUP PROCESS

The following document summarizes the methods used by the Debian Testing
Group. Testing is primarily focused around the time when the distribution
is "Frozen" before a release, but test reports are welcomed at any time
either before the freeze or after it. All reports should be posted to:
"debian-testing@lists.debian.org", while all bugs should be reported
according to: "http://www.debian.org/Bugs";.

I. Upgrade Install Testing

The first type of testing to occur during this period is upgrade testing.
The tester should attempt to point dselect from an older installation to a
Debian mirror.  Any error messages during the installation should be
reported along with any work-arounds.  Once the upgrade is complete, as
many individual packages should be tested as possible (see section III).

II. Base Install Testing

The second type of testing involves an installation from scratch.  This
will usually involve creating the rescue, root, and base disk (or any of
the other options, including the zero floppy install).  Once this is
complete, the tester should attempt to install any desired packages and
then test as many individual packages as possible (see section III).

III. Individual Package Testing

A list of packages and their checklist will be kept in one large file.
This should be kept at "http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/checklist.html";.
If you find a package that fails an item in the checklist, please report
it as a bug. Once you have verified that all test have passed, you can
report the package as being tested.  If you are only able to test some of
the items in the checklist, you may report this too, but specify what you
have tested.

The checklist will initially be created by the maintainer.  However,
anyone is free to add to or modify a checklist by sending e-mail to the
testers mailing list or "bhmit1@mail.wm.edu".

Note that there will also be a checklist for all packages, and a checklist
for groups of packages.  If the package belongs to a group, this will be
an item in it's list.

During a testing period, a list of untested packages will periodically be
posted to the testing list.  Copies will also be sent to debian-devel
(less frequently) so that any developers can assist in the testing
process.

IV. Testing Report

Comments are placed in [ ].  This report is an example only.

Report Information:
  Name: 	Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>