Re: questions: Non-internet connected IP Address default ???

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Kevin Traas wrote:

: >QUESTION: Is their a "generic" ip addressing scheme that should be used
: >within this company , since it is not connected in any way to the net.
: >Does it even matter? I guess I could use any address I want ...
:
:
: There's an RFC on this, but I can't quote the number at the moment....
: This RFC defines the use of 10.0.0.0 or 192.168.0.0 for internal, private
: networks.

RFC 1918

:
: >QUESTION: I took a quick tour of their offices, and have noticed the hub
: >in the closet. The brand - "David Systems", never heard of it myself...
: >Will I have any problems passing TCP/IP over this hub? IP and IPX can
: >exist together, cant they ??? I don't have any information on this hub
: >other than it's name...

I've heard claims that some Novell specific hardware won't do anything
but IPX.  I've never encountered this myself. (anyone know if it's
true??  FUD??) AFAIK, a hub should be doing all its work at the hardware
level anyway.

:
: Can't help you on this.  IP & IPX do coexist without a problem and if the
: hub you mention is indeed only a hub, then it won't be a problem.
: However, if it's a router, then it will have to support IP as well as IPX.
:
: Later,
: Kevin
:

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104