RE: Partitioning

Do du commands on your various filesystems to see how much you're
using on each.  Put /var and /home on one slice and everything else
on the other.  Add up what you're using for everything else, add a
percentage for growth, and make the everything else slice that big.
Make a swap partition (I use 100 Mb, YMMV), Use the rest for /var,
/home, and /tmp.  HTH.