Re: /dev on a ram disk

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> I recall a post some time ago mentioning that putting /dev on a ramdisk
> would allow laptops to use APM. Does anyone know how this is done? I've
> never made a ramdisk with linux, and I'm not sure how to replace the /dev
> dir before anything starts using it...

Check out the virtual-dev package (in experimental).

 Package: virtual-dev
 Version: 0.2
 Section: admin
  This package attempts to reduce unnecessary access to your IDE disk by
  creating a ramdisk at boot time, copying the /dev/ directory onto it,
  and mounting the copy over the top of the real /dev/ directory.
  .
  Normally, accesses to devices in /dev/ will cause the kernel to write
  an updated last-access time to the disk.  This ramdisk scheme will cause
  those writes to go to the ramdisk, and thus not spin up your hard disk.
  .
  This package is still experimental; install it only if you can fix
  configuration problems.

--
see shy jo