ssh and shosts file

I am trying to use a .shosts file to allow password-less logins when using
ssh. Both machines have a known_hosts file with the other machine
in it (automatically set up by ssh). The machine I'd like to go to has
a .shosts file which is mode 600. Yet when I use ssh to go to that machine
it still asks for a password. This seems like it should be trivial to set
up (I used .rhosts files many years ago and they always worked fine).
Anybody have any ideas?

- Jay