Standard header files.

I've installed gcc and all the packages that dselect recommends to go
with it but whenever I try to compile anything, like the kernel,  I just
get a bunch of error messages about missing *.h header files like
stdio.h. Shouldn't gcc come with these basic fundamental headers? Do I
need to do a path type of statement so the system can find them? I
looked through my directory tree for them but couldn't even find them.
Are they hidden somewhere that I should know about? I searched the
packages section at debian.org for stuff like "standard header files" or
"include" but came up dry. I'm sorry for consuming bandwidth with these
newbie questions....

Christopher Barry

P.S. Thank you everyone for responding to my other newbie "make issues"
post.