Re: PPP modem connection.

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 gustavoq@telire.eie.ucr.ac.cr wrote:

> I´ve been trying to connect ppp using XISP and after giving the ppp
> garbage characters (and clicking on continue) it disconnects the line. I
> think I have PPP installed correctly, but how can I be sure?
> (I do connect with the same hardware under Windows 95 without a problem)

Hi,

first of all (if you haven't done this) upgrade to xisp-2.3p4.deb as it
solves a few bugs around. You can find it at ftp://134.95.210.54/pub/

We need some more information.

1. What messages do you get in /var/log/ppp.log (add debug to
/etc/options.xisp) ?

2. Do you get a loginprompt from your isp (you have to use a script with
win95 to login) or does your isp use pap authentification ?

3. Do you try to connect as root or as a "normal" user who is in group
dialout ?

Ciao,
	Martin