Streaming "Password:" in VC

Hello all,

I believe I botched my Debian 1.3.1 install up, upon the first
bootup.  I was converting from Slackware to debian after a crash
(perfect time to do this), so I had my users and home directories on
another partition....

I did not want to setup the initial user that debian asks for, and I
could not figure out a way around it or out of that part of the
installation, so I opened up console1 (ALT-F2) and started to mount
my drives and start to setup the /etc directory with my old files
(like fstab, hosts, you know the rest).  I simply added my users to
the "passwd" file that was in place.  From there I ran dselect, and
finished the install process.

I rebooted the system for the second time and VConsole0, even though
I never went back to console0 to get rid of that "adduser script",
was still prompting.  Once the reboot finished it promped me for
password....  So I entered my user pasword (for user 'jay')  It
bumped out to the complete login screen and then after idle time
"Password:" appears.  And keeps apearing adding the new word.  It
fills up the whole screen.

Once I enter the password for root I was let in and all was fine.
Once I exit, it simply prompted for "Password:" again!

No other Virtual Consoles are affected, just VC0.  Can I fix this?
Also did I kill my self with the shadowconfig question after the
adduser part (before you go into dselect)?  I really don't want to go
back and reinstall all of Debian again.

Thanks.

--Jay Barbee
jybarb01@adm105.adm.louisville.edu