Ease of Use was: Packaging Gimp .99.15

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> like so far. The developers need to know what problems people
> are having with the software and the packaging before it can be
> fixed.

My main problem with Debian (and most other Linux distributions) is that
it assumes that your hardware is 'difficult'. I'd rather have Debian's
instllation process assume my hardware was standardised. Example:

The first question you are asked is "Do you have a mouse"

If no, dump them into a text based configuration process otherwise

"Where is your mouse attached?" then "Do you know what kind of mouse it
is?" If so, query them on protocol details. Otherwise assume a two-button
mouse and fireup the VGA 16 server to do a graphical configuration.

Once the configuration process (text/graphical) is underway you could then
ask the users (or determine it by probing) for further details to
'optimise' the system for them.

I realise that parts of this system won't be doable until Deity is closer
to completeion but I do know that at least one other person [Hi Roland] is
working on something similiar.

Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are