$TERM = "xterm" acting funny on non-linux terms

I recently synced up my Debian machine with the unstable tree on
ftp.debian.org.  Now if I connect to my linux box inside a non-linux xterm
(non xterm-color,  from a Sun machine,  for example),  all the text comes
out in reverse video,  which makes reading mail,  viewing anything with
"less",  etc,  kinda painful.

Things are ok if I do "export TERM=vt100",  though,  so I'm wondering if
the termcap default entry for "xterm" has been changed.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|       You and I and George went strolling through the park one day     |
|           and then you held my hand as if to say,  "I love you".       |
|      Then we passed a brook, and George fell in and drowned himself    |
|             and floated out to sea, leaving you alone with me.         |
|				-- As sung by Red Kelly,  on             |
|			Stan Kenton/Live at the Las Vegas Tropicana      |