PnP modem woes continue, IRQ never fires for modem

Here's what I've done:

0. I installed isapnptools and set up the
    /etc/isapnp.conf file, which is provided
    below.  I based the configuration on the
    readout for my modem within Win95.
1. I went through various setserial commands
   as in the /usr/doc/isapnptools/README.modules
   file.
3. I tried using both minicom and cu to connect
    to the modem.  Neither echoes commands,
    even if I say ATE1.  Nor does /proc/interrupts
    indicate that the relevant IRQ is even firing at all.
4. I've looked in the BIOS, turned off PnP OS, turned
    off unused onboard serial devices.  Also, in the
    PnP/PCI submenu in the BIOS, I also toggled
    to 'Legacy device' for the relevant IRQ and 2 of
   the DMAs I thought were getting used.

    [BTW, what is a 'Legacy device', and why would
    you need it for a PnP modem?]

5. FYI, the modem is a ViVa 56K speaker/phone
    with a Lucent 1643 chipset.  It works fine for
    Win95.

QUESTIONS:

a. For the /etc/isapnp.conf file below, how do you know
   what ID to use for the DMA?  ie, I can see from Win95
   that I need channels 7 and 6, but should I use

   (DMA 0 (Channel 7))  and  (DMA 1 (Channel 6))

   or should I use

   (DMA 0 (Channel 7))  and  (DMA 0 (Channel 6))

  or something else?  Or does the DMA 0/1 ID not matter?

b. I opened up the tower and noticed some cabling between
   the sound card and the modem card.  That seems normal,
   but could this be involved at all?

c. I noticed under the Device>Resources tab for my modem
    in Win95 that two distinct ranges are given:  0x3f8 and
    0x100.   I always use 0x3f8 (or 0x2f8).  What is the
    purpose of the second range starting at 0x100?

Thanks,
-c

# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.10 1997/07/14 22:30:47 fox Exp $
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags: -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER
#
# Trying port address 0203
# Board 1 has serial identifier 29 aa fa 20 3d 98 41 09 0e

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)

# Card 1: (serial identifier 29 aa fa 20 3d 98 41 09 0e)
# CPI4198 Serial No -1426448323 [checksum 29]
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.1
# ANSI string -->56k Speakerphone <--
#
# Logical device id HSM0140
#     Device support I/O range check register
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE CPI4198/-1426448323 (LD 0
#     First DMA channel 5, 6 or 7.
#         8 & 16 bit DMA
#         Logical device is not a bus master
#         DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#         DMA may execute in count by word mode
#         DMA channel speed in compatible mode
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 7))
#     Next DMA channel 5, 6 or 7.
#         8 & 16 bit DMA
#         Logical device is not a bus master
#         DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#         DMA may execute in count by word mode
#         DMA channel speed in compatible mode
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 6))

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
(IO 0 (BASE 0x03f8))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 4.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ 4 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x02f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x02f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x02f8))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 3.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03e8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 4.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 4 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x02e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x02e8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x02e8))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 3.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0100))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12 or 15.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))

#     End dependent functions
(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)