Re: DNS Problem

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Kevin Traas wrote:

> If you've got a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Okay, first suggestion is to turn off rich text or HTML email in your mail
client.  Email does NOT have pretty colors or centering and I usually just
delete any message I see which looks like a webpage.

> I've just had a client contact me.  Their getting the following in
> /var/log/messages:
> Dec 2 12:47:16 inetgw named[140]: "axionet.com IN MX" points to a CNAME
>     (mail.axionet.com)
> Dec 2 12:47:16 inetgw named[140]: "axionet.com IN MX" points to a CNAME
>     (smtp.axionet.com)
> Brief info on their system config.  It's a diald device for their
> internal LAN.  fetchmail retrieves from a multi-drop box and delivers
> locally.  named is running locally for spoof internal DNS config and to
> forward all external to ISP nameserver.
> All's been working fine for months.  They say nothing's changed.

If mail.axionet.com and/or smtp.axionet.com are CNAME records, you need to
point the MX to the A record they point to (or change the CNAME to an A).
The DNS specs state that a CNAME is an illegal target for an MX record,
because it generates possibilites for mail loops.  Most MTAs follow CNAMES
anyway, but named is perfectly correct in complaining.

Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/

debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .