Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:44:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Daniel Martin <martind@chow.mat.jhu.edu>
To: Sten Anderson <sten@bergsoe.k-net.dk>
Cc: "Alan D. Brunelle" <brunelle@zk3.dec.com>, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: X server setup under 1.3.1 (Matrox Mystique + Sony 200sx)

Unfortunately, the only Debianized XFree86 3.3.1 around (last I checked)
is for libc6, and is in hamm.  Here's more or less how I got the standard
XFree86 3.3.1 to work on my Debian system:

Download the required XFree86 stuff - check Section 5 of the RELNOTES file
in the directory /pub/XFree86/current/binaries/Linux-ix86/ - you only need
what's listed as required for a 3.3 to 3.3.1 upgrade.  (that is, extract,
the two .sh scripts, and a few XF*.tgz files) Also, grab the SVGA server
.tgz file (I can't remember the exact name, but it's in there).  Then go
ahead and install as it tells you to in RELNOTES, (remember to install the
SVGA server too!) and then run XF86Setup - answer all the questions as you
would normally, but beware once you get to the test X screen - there will
be (possibly after running xvidtune) a dialog box that asks you where to
save the new configuration - the default value will be
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config, but that's NOT what you want - the Debian
location for the config. file is /etc/X11/XF86Config, and you should type
that in the dialog box before saving the configuration.  Also, after you
leave that screen and drop back into text mode, the setup program will ask
you about making X a symbolic link to XF86_SVGA - say NO!  Debian does
things a bit differently, and making this symlink could break things.

Now you have to go clean up a bit.
Make certain that the top line of /etc/X11/Xserver (I may have that
capitalized incorrectly) ends in XF86_SVGA.  Now do one last bit of
cleaning up:
chmod u-s /usr/X11/bin/XF86_*

And all should be well.

DANIEL MARTIN