magifilter problems

I have a pretty strage problem with my new printer.
I have a HP 6L with the latest version of magicfilter from hamm When I try
to print anything but text and pcl files nothing happens. I have gs-alldin
installed. If however, I process ps files with the same exact options as
in the filter I am using and print with lp the output file it works.
i.e.

lp example.ps , nothing happens
but if I run the following sscript I wrote then success
while [ "$2" ]
do
  if [ "$1" = ps ]
  then
    gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r600 -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=/tmp/tmp.pcl
$2
    lp /tmp/tmp.pcl
    rm /tmp/tmp.pcl
    echo "$2 printed"
e,t,c,

the relevant part of the filter is
# PostScript
0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300
-sDEVICE
=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- -
0       \004%!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300
-sDEVICE
=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- -

Anybody has any clue. Of course I can keep working like that but a) can't
print through application b) it is not very elegant since after the gs
works I get a GS> prompt and have to type quit to continue with the lp
command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                         Thanks
                                         George