Re: HELP: CD install of 1.3.1 with Panasonic 24x

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Albert Hurd wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian 1.3.1 from CheapBytes disk on a new computer
> (and a newbie at Linux) which has a Matshita (Panasonic) CR-585 24x
> CDRom. At the point in the install where it tries to access the CDRom, it
> halts with the error message: mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block
> device.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I got the same error installing
1.3.1 on a machine because I'd incorrectly specified where the CD drive
was; I thought it was /dev/hdb when it's really /dev/hdc.  Try doing the
install again directly from CD and once you get past the step where you
specify your keyboard, hit ALT-F2 to get to a shell screen, and run the
command
dmesg | more
Then look through there for the bit where it detects your hard drive (this
will be the bit where it says "hda"), and see if it detects your CD drive,
and what device it thinks it is.