RE: problem with bash -- probably

I am not sure what is going on with your system.  However, the fact that
"." is not in your search path is rather standard with any Linux/Unix
distribution that even so much as pays "lip service" to the idea of
security.  Not as critical for ordinary users as for root of course, but
by not including the current path in the search path you are avoiding
the running of "trojan horse" programs.  As a practical matter you also
avoid running your own "experiemental" software when you want "standard"
system commands.

This is just "swag" but it sounds as though you may not be getting an
environment set up.

The "conventional' way to execute the program would be "./<script-name>
(again I don't think that this has anything to do with the problem you
are experiencing however).

If no one posts the answer to your problem then you might want to use
strace.

best,
-bill