XFree86 SVGA server has a problem...

I've had quite a few problems using XFree86 on my Debian installation. I
have a K6-233 with 64MB SDRAM and a Matrox Millenium II video card. I
was told to upgrade XFree86 to 3.3.1 to get Millenium II support.
After that, X was working fine, but would only load the VGA16 server; I
wanted better resolution. So I was told to edit my /etc/X11/Xserver file
to put SVGA where VGA16 was. Then I loaded X and the server would load,
quit back to text mode, and I would see errors like 'X server error: you
do not have permission to load this server." I tried changing it back to
VGA16, to no avail. What's going on?