Re: Adaptec AHA-2940

Matthew Tebbens <matthew@tebbens.idsi.net> writes:

> Yup, found it !
> I'm using 2.0.32
>
> I re-compilied the kernel, added support and everything seems to
> work just fine. I still have to add my external scsi drives at
> a later time.... I think the following Warning message is related
> to that.. ?
> Thanks again for the help!
>
> kernel: aic7xxx: <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> at PCI 11
> kernel: aic7xxx: Warning - detected auto-termination.  Please verify driver
> kernel:          detected settings and use manual termination if necessary.
> kernel: aic7xxx: BIOS enabled, IO Port 0x5000, IO Mem 0x80000000, IRQ 11, Revision B
> kernel: aic7xxx: Wide Channel, SCSI ID 7, 16/16 SCBs, QFull 16, QMask 0x1f
> kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 4.1/3.2
> kernel: scsi : 1 host.
> kernel: scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices.
> kernel: scsi : detected total.

There should be a message telling either that termination is ON or OFF.

aic7xxx: Cables present (Int-50 YES, Ext-50 NO)
==> aic7xxx: eprom not present, brdctl_int=0xac, brdctl_ext=0x6c
==> aic7xxx: Termination ON
aic7xxx: BIOS enabled, IO Port 0xe400, IO Mem 0xfafd0000, IRQ 9
aic7xxx: Extended translation enabled.
aic7xxx: Single Channel, SCSI ID 7, 16/16 SCBs, QFull 16, QMask 0x1f
aic7xxx: Resetting channel A

On my system the auto termination on a AHA 2940 works correctly.  If
you have an external SCSI device connected and the termination is
still ON you should manually configure your SCSI host-adapter to
termination off.  I wonder that the above lines didn't appear in your
message log at all.  I used dmesg to display them.

        Torsten

--
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
                                            Fortune Cookie