Re: diald & cached webpages

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Wintermute wrote:

> > Isn't there some kind of cache software, though?  I don't know what
> > it's called, but it caches webpages locally, and won't querry the
> > remote server unless the page isn't in the cache?  What is it called?
> > Would it work?

You want a proxy server.

> http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/version-1.3/user.html
> An offline web browser tool that works with several browsers, caches
> pages, and marks links that you want to go to (but are not cached) for
> later retrieval, and other cool stuff. (Says it works with Netscape too)

I use this one (it is a debian package as well). Works flawless. I use it
with Netscape.
wwwoffle knows two modes: online and offline mode.

When you are in offline mode, it won't trigger diald for pages which are
in it's cache and if you request a page which is not cached, it will
remember that page for fetching (recursive fetch possible).

These are the basics. More infos on it's man page.

Ciao,
	Martin