free backup tailored for removable disks

I've checked the packages via www.debian.org, but all the backup
packages there are aimed either at diskettes or tape drives.  I have a
Zip drive, and don't want to purchase a tape drive.  Conversely, I
don't want to backup a 1.2 gig drive to floppies.

The commercial packages like bru might do it . . . but the two I've
found for Linux are absurdly expensive.  I have no problem buying
commercial software, but when backup software for DOS or Windows or
OS/2 or the Mac is available for $29, I can't justify buying a $100
Linux program.

Someone will say "use tar" or "use afio" or "use dump".  I might, but
as far as I can tell none of those except tar inherently support
removable disks (multiple volumes).  Tar can do multivolume backups,
but from what I've read if one sector on the disk is corrupted, you
lose the whole backup.

So:  are there any free (or cheap) backup programs for Linux, which by
design support multivolume archives?

(I kinda miss DOS.  PKZip 2 would be perfect for my job, but
unfortunately the InfoZip ZIP doesn't natively handle multivolume
archives.)

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
"With some technology, you get the feeling that the designers weren't fully