Re: Making Debian bootable from hard disk

Steve Kostecke writes:
 > > Here is my /etc/lilo.conf:
 > >
 > > boot=/dev/hda1
 > > root=/dev/hdc1
 >
 > /dev/hda1 = first partition on master disk on 1st IDE controller
 > /dev/hdc1 = first partition on master disk on 2nd IDE controller
 >
 > If both of your disks are running off the 1st IDE controller  and linux is on
 > the slave (2nd) disk then your root would be /dev/hdb1.  If linux is on the
 > master disk then your root is /dev/hda1.  Change the root= line in your
 > lilo.conf to what ever is appropriate and run lilo to complete the
 > installation.

  I want to thank those who answered and gave me tips concerning this,
as it has helped me solve the problem.

  I had three harddisks, and one CD-ROM... then I added one harddisk,
and removed one of the olders to fit it in.  The new hard disk was
thus the third in the line /dev/hdc1.  Originally, I had my root
partition on hda1, then I moved over to hdb2 :-) and finally over to
hdc1.  LILO was able to boot on other partitions, out of the original
configuration.  However, after recalibrating the drive, it no longer
was able to.

  Since, I just took out /dev/hda1 and put the disk on /dev/hdc onto
the first controller, as the first harddisk.  And made the entries in
/etc/fstab point to the new destination of the disk.  Now LILO is able
to boot from that disk, without any difficulties.  The message I wrote
on here about what LILO said:

lilo: disk device 0x82 may not be accessible
                  ^^^^
  This is not the disk type, as I thought.  But the disk drive number,
which means that hda is 0x80, hdb is 0x81 and hdc is 0x82.  Lilo was
thus unable to boot hdc1, even though it had been able to before.  I
can't quite see why not, at the moment.