Re: damn identity crisis

This might be your problem:

Script started on Fri Nov 28 10:43:03 1997
tommy@oi:~$ host 3dillusion.com
3dillusion.com      	A	198.109.162.43
tommy@oi:~$ host 198.109.162.43
198.109.162.43 does not exist (Authoritative answer)
tommy@oi:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Fri Nov 28 10:43:15 1997

ie, you have no reverse namelookup for your host. Talk to your provider
about adding a PTR record for your host to their 162.109.198.in-addr.arpa
zone, so that a 'host [your ip]' spits out '3dillusion.com'.

Thomas

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Paul Miller wrote:

> From: Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.com>
> To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>,
>     Linux Net <linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu>
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:34:07 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: damn identity crisis
>
> A few weeks ago about three nice people from the Debian-user list helped
> me out with setting up & fixing my DNS server, which I am very thankful.
> Unfortunately I am now having problems with IRC which may or may not be
> related.
>
> When I try to connect to an IRC server, I get 'no authorization' errors
> because my system sends my IP instead of the hostname...  It does the same
> for all the machines that IP Masquerade through me.
>
> On my system, I use ircii, epic, and kirc which all give the same results.
> On the machines using masquerading, I use mirc (win95).. same results.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks
> -Paul
>
> BTW- I finally fixed my problem w/ the mail domain defaulting to
> 3dillusion.3dillusion.com .. in the /etc/hosts I had '198.109.162.43
> 3dillusion.3dillusion.com 3dillusion' which I changed the full host name
> to 3dillusion.com.
>

> --

--(fortune.sig)--
A committee is a group that keeps the minutes and loses hours.
		-- Milton Berle