Linux <--> SunOS connection terminal problem

Hello,

I use Debian Linux on my home computer, and frequently need to log in to
some university machines which are running SunOS (4.1.3 and 5.5).
However these machines do not know about the terminal type 'linux', so I
have to use vt100, which results in screwing up my console (which I can
fix by typing reset later).  This problem got worse since I started
using svgatextmode with 30 lines on my screen.

Is there an incantation involving termcap or terminfo that will make
these SunOS computers be able to use my linux terminal?

Any hints gratefully received,

Janos.