Re: multiple X sessions

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:

> E Papantoniou wrote:
> ->
> -> Hi,
> ->
> -> when I am logged in as a user and I run X windows, I press Ctrl-Alt-F2
> -> and as expected a new terminal comes up. Then I log in as a different user
> -> and I type startx. I get some errors:
> ->
>
> Hi, you have to open another display. Try this:
>
> startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1
>
> Besides, you can also login as yourself, and maybe to use a
> different color depth, like
>
> starx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -bpp 16
  ^^^^^ you mean 'startx', right?

You can leave away the '/usr/X11R6/bin/X' part. You only need to specify
the server if you want to run another server than the default one, which
is /usr/X11R6/bin/X [1]. For the rest you are right.

The generic syntax for this is:

Any of the arguments to startx can be omitted. A <client to start> or
<server to start> is supposed to start with a dot (.) or slash (/).

Remco

[1] actually /usr/X11R6/bin/X is a wrapper that starts the server
specified in /etc/X11/Xserver , but that doesn't matter in this case