Re: Rebuilding the kernel

While you _can_ certainly use the LDP HOWTO instructions for building a
new kernel (and I may sure most debian users including myself have done
so), using the debian kernel package's make-kpkg should be strongly
encouraged.

An additional 'nice' feature of the process is that after you run the
dpkg -i on your new package you have a vmlinuz and a vmlinuz.old
pointing to your new and old kernels respectively. It is then a simple
matter to edit /etc/lilo.conf (as you point out) but I would suggest
using "last" for the previous kernel and make "linux" or whatever the
new kernel and the default.

The advantage to this, I think is that if the kernel works as you desire
then there is no action required and at some future date when you want
to try another new kernel, you (new) old one will be available for
"recovery" automatically just be running lilo.

best,
-bill