RE: dselect and debian on walnut creek

I am not familiar with that specific cdrom but suggest that you might
want to look for directories named:  "bo", or "stable", or "main", and
"contrib", and "non-free" (the "non-free" may quite well not be
present).

In each of those directories (if "bo" and "stable" are both present then
one will be a link to the other) you should find a file called
"Packages" or "Packages.gz" (or both).  You can "point" dselect at these
by answering the first question (about the location of the distribution)
with "none".  Dselect will then ask you for the location of the
individual parts of the distribution.  Just give it the path to each of
the parts answering "none" to "non-free" if it does not exist on the
cdrom and "none" to the "local" question since it is doubtful that you
have created any debian packages of your own (yet).

There really _should_ be a README file on the cdrom but yours would not
be the first Linux distribution cd that I have seen that is not
structured properly.

best,
-bill