Re: PCMCIA and 2.0.32

larry@alaska.net (Adam Shand) writes:

> I'd use the debian package but there isn't one for a kernel newer
> then 2.0.30 that I could see.

Of course not.  There would need to be a kernel-image-2.0.32 package
against which the PCMCIA modules are compiled.

> Okay I've recompiled the kernel for PCI and apmd support and still have
> exactly the same problem.  From the beginning when it first reports a
> problem to the end is quite long so I have just include the first bit.

> I checked the PCMCIA-HOWTO and there didn't seem to be anything there that
> related... if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

There is a bug in the netwave_cs.c source.  It is fixed in the patched
Debian source, for example in the pcmcia-source package, but it seems
that you are using the upstream source.  Here is the fix: move the
line that reads `#include <linux/sched.h>' up three lines higher in
the file.  The sched.h header file needs to be included before the
kernel.h header file.

If you are using the kernel-package package (make-kpg) to build your
custom kernel, there is an easier way to rebuild the PCMCIA modules.
Place the Debianized PCMCIA sources in a subdirectory of
/usr/src/modules, for example the pcmcia-source package places the
source in /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs.  Then once you have configured
your kernel with `make config' (or `make menuconfig' or `make
xconfig'), run the following from the base of the kernel source tree:

	make-kpkg --revision <name> kernel_image
	make-kpkg --revision <name> modules_image

where <name> is the revision number of the packages that you are
am building a kernel customized for a machine name ceres, a 2.0.32
kernel package that I build would first be named ceres.1.  If I had to
rebuild the kernel (to insert patches) the next package would use
ceres.2 as the revision number and so on.  These commands will build a
new kernel-image*.deb file and a pcmcia-modules*.deb file that will be
compatible once installed no matter how you configure the kernel.

Brian