Re: Matlab5

Why use matlab?  octave is almost perfectly compatible.  I read all the
cheezy functions that came with my Digital Signal Processing course text
almost straight out - just had to strip some junk off the end of the first
line of each m file (There is probably a filter to do this, though it was
a strange problem I've not seen before, not staircase effect, but
something else.  ah the vagaries which MS can induce on even a thing as
simple as a text file).

There are a few functions like subplot that older versions of gnuplot
doesn't do (though I have heard the latest version does) but you can call
gnuplot functions directly if you want which gives you a lot of control
over plotting that you don't get with matlab.

There is also another thing out there scilab but I don't like it as much.
It is less compatible (different comment syntax for example), and in this
case the commercial application actually did come first, and is pretty
much a de facto standard for signal processing.  It is not a rip
off like pspice, so it is good to clone it faithfully.