RE: 56k

There could be several reasons.

1) There are several different 56K protocols that are incompatable with each
other, you must buy the modem with the protocol that your ISP supports. If you
switch ISP's you might find that you may need to switch brands of modem to
maintian a 56K connection.

2) It only works if the connection at the other end is a digital connection,
you will never get a 56k analog to analog connection.  In other words, if the
modem at the other end is connected to a regular phone line, it will never
connect faster than 33.6 under any circumstances.

3) The telephone circuit over which your connection travels may have only one
analog to digital conversion.  If the signal gets converted to digital at your
telephone office and is converted back to analog anywhere in transit and again
converted back to digital before being presented to the ISP's equipment, it
will never establish a 56K connection.

4) The above holds true for dialing out through a PBX at work where your voice
channel may get converted to digital for switching inside the PBX but is
reconverted to analog for transmission to the phone company over an analog
circuit ... again, you will never get a 56K connection because of the
analog->digital->analog conversion.