Re: How to use dpkg -b ??

Debian List <debian@linux1.americasnet.com> writes:
> But given the 3 files (diff, dsc, tar), how do I use dpkg-buildpackage? I
> tried running it but it says it can't find debian/changelog and can't
> determine the source package...

Oh, I'm sorry.  Use `dpkg-source -x PACKAGE.dsc' to extract the source
code, then use `dpkg-buildpackage' from the source directory.

> Also, what would be the procedure to customize/patch a package? Would I
> untar the original source, make mods to the source, tar it up again, and
> then build the package? I'm fuzzy as to what the procedure would be in
> order to customize a package.

dpkg-buildpackage will automagically generate a diff from the original
package source.

> If I make changes to the original source, wouldn't that invalidate the
> diff file?

I don't understand the question.
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>