Re: local e-mail message delivery from isp

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, David Stern wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My isp provides a "Unix shell account", and because I pick my e-mail up
> from different platforms (Mac, PC, NeXT, Unix terms) and locations, it's
> been most practical for me to simpy telnet into my isp and run my
> (curses-based) e-mail program remotely via dialup networking from home.
>
> Not one to leave well enough alone, I now want to setup my home Debian
> Linux box so that messages are transferred to my local mailspool and I
> can run a mail program locally.  I've chosen sendmail to handle the
> daemon, exmh as a mail program, and I've run through the initial
> configuration for each.
>
> My question is: What is a good method to go about checking for and
> delivering messages?  Is there some slick app (gui or otherwise) that
> automates this procedure, or should I hack my chatscript to run
> something (what are my options?) at connect time and schedule cron to
> connect every so often (or possibly just check every so often when I'm
> connected, I haven't decided how often I want to check yet), or is there
> an even better way to handle this ritual?  My isp provides pop3, imap2,
> imap4, if that helps.
>
> I've read many related docs including howto's, books, works from the
> Debian Documentation Project, but have not made much progress. If there
> is a good document I should read, please tell.

For fetching e-mail, take a look at fetchmail. It can use (amongst others)
the pop3 and imap4 protocols to fetch e-mail from the isp and deliver the
mail to a local user. It can run as a daemon (or not) and is very
configurable.

For sending e-mail you'll have to tell your e-mail program to use the
localhost as the smtp server (which is probably the default) and configure
sendmail for the dialup line. Since I am on a permanent connection (and
don't use sendmail) I have no idea how to do this, but others certainly
do.

Remco