Re: Pentium error

On Fri, 08 Mar 1996 15:26:15 +0100 Lukas Eppler (debian@fear.ch)
wrote:

> There was a message in my newspaper this morning
> (Tages-Anzeiger,17.Nov.97, Switzerland, www.tages-anzeiger.ch)
> Which said the following (translated, my english isn't perfect)
> ---------
> New Pentium bug
>
> Intel has confirmed the Bug in their Pentium chips which was discovered
> recently, with which a PC can crash upon the machine code "F00FC7C8". This
> should apply only to Pentium machines which are running under a multi user
> system (like Unix). There are already sold defender programs against this
> so-called "F0"-Bug, which search programs like virus scanners for the
> fatal code.
> ----------
> This sounds like a "don't use linux" statement from intel. They don't even
> mention Windows NT, which is a multi user platform, too. And why the hell
> has this something to do with multi user systems? Is the mentioned code in
> use with debian linux?

Nah, don't worry:
 1) Linux has already a patch against it (2.0.32-pre5, soon to be 2.0.32),
 2) Intel has been estonishingly linux-friendly (Linux went to their
    headquarters discussing the linux patch, they mention Linux on the
    web page they devoted to the bug)
 3) NT is not multi-user, it's sequential multi-user (and even that, badly).
    I mean, you cannot telnet onto an NT box and crash an other user session
    (hence sequential). Furthermore, IMHO, it doesn't need a pentium bug
    to crash it.

Phil.