Re: Errors in compiling a source package

joost witteveen wrote:
> (Oh, come to think of it, why do courageous people have bootdisks?)

Hi, there, I was courageous (though when I downgraded ldso, there was no
warning message yet), and had no bootdisks. It didn't help that all other
linux machines here were unable to boot with my server down (nfs root), and
that my server was my internet gateway. I carted my computer to a friends
house to fix it.

Now I'm uncouragrous, have statically linked binaries stashed away, boot
disks, and other internat-capable linux machines. Ldso downgrade sure was a
learning experience. :-)

Seriously, I wonder if there's not some way for ldso's postinst to notice
that it's being downgraded and abort the downgrade? Looking at the
programmers manual, I see that "old-prerm upgrade new-version" is called
right at the beginning of an "upgrade" (or downgrade, I hope!). Perhaps
ldso's prerm could detect the problem and refuse to downgrade?

--
see shy jo