Re: More newbie setup stuff...

Daniel Martin wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Andrew Akins wrote:
>
> >   Checking for languages ... de_DECan't locate Getopt/Long.pm in
> > @INC at /usr/sbin/chmanconfig line 38.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/chmanconfig line 38.
> >
> > Any idea what this means? Any suggestions?

install perl package before.

> By the way - in looking into this, I tried to discover just what the
> base perl installation _does_ have - unlike elvis-tiny, there doesn't
> seem to be a package "perl-tiny" or whatnot that contains this little
> perl.

Before bo there used to be a package of perl marked essential (and
therefore not removable). AFAIK there will be one also in hamm.
I don't know for what reasons this perl package wasn't build as
essential in bo. This make possible for someone to see this error.
I have not yet understood what path is needed to get it: you are
installing things by hand and have not yet installed perl, or you
deselected perl in dselect?

Fabrizio