Re: xdm problems...

On 13 Nov 1997, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.3dillusion.com> writes:
> > AUDIT: Thu Nov 13 23:27:51 1997: 975 X: client 3 rejected from local host
> >   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
>
> This sort of message generally means that someone not authorized to
> connect to your X server tried to connect anyway.  Since the host was
> the local host, it probably means that a user not the one who started
> the X session tried to run an X client on the display.  This can
> happen if root tried to run a client on another user's display, or
> vice versa.

hmm.. I'm using Debian's xbase package with a X authority type program,
which only lets certain users use X... and I'm trying to get X to allow me
to su - to root, set the DISPLAY and run X programs as root... that must
have been why I received those errors..  for some reason Debian's program
denies root from running X programs while another user is using the
display.

> You can turn off this security by typing `xhost +localhost' at an
> xterm prompt; thenceforth during that X session any user on the local
> computer will be able to run clients.

hmm.. I'll try that, maybe that will temperary fix my problem with running
root programs while another user is using the display.

> BTW, why don't you add a Reply-To: header?  There is no host
> 3dillusion.3dillusion.com.

damn.. I've had this problem since I installed BIND.  My email address
used to only include my domain by default.. i don't know how to change the
default mail domain..  for now I changed Pine's user domain.

-Paul