RE: /etc/init.d/network

On 13-Nov-97 stick@richnet.net wrote:
<snip>
>When the system boots /etc/init.d/network is run (I know this is true
>because I added some echo statements & watched the screen while it booted.)
>Anyway, after I boot the eth0 interface is not setup.  If I run /etc/init.d/
>network by hand afterwards, everything is fine.  I've checked, double-
>checked, and even had a friend check that there were no hardware conflicts.
>Interrupts and IO addresses are all fine.  I've tried compiling the drivers
>into the kernel and as loadable modules - nothing seems to help this problem.

Add some more echo to /etc/init.d/network to find out where it's failing.
echo $? shows the exit status of things that run.  Also echo any $THINGYs
that you have in there.  Look at where in the sequence of init files network
is  being run; use:

grep initdefault /etc/inittab  #to find out your default run-level
ls /etc/rc#.d         # where the # character is the run-level discovered above

That will show the order that the files in /etc/init.d are run.
/etc/init.d/network may need to come later in the sequence.  HTH